J.J. Ayo swimming pool opens after a year of renovations
Free Enterprise Week campers play Marco Polo in the J.J. Ayo Swimming Pool Tuesday afternoon.
The J.J. Ayo Swimming Pool opened in April for its first full summer since 2010 and officials say that numbers are the same as the last fully open summer.
The pool has undergone several changes preventing it from being available to swimmers. In 2010 the pool underwent a draining, replacement of a ripped lining, along with new electrical connections, wiring, pumps, motors and new plumbing.
The changes started in Fall 2010 and cost an estimated $145,000 dollars, Mike Davis assistant vice president for administration said in a March 17, 2010 Nicholls Worth article.
While the pool was out of commission to students, faculty and staff were able to use the pool at La Maison du Bayou Apartments.
The building of the Recreation Center did not have an effect on the renovations. A pool could have been added to the recreation center during construction, but aquatics was not ranked high by student preferences, Mike Matherne, director of campus recreation said in March 17, 2010 Nicholls Worth article.
"The renovations have not affected attendance. They haulted the use of the pool, but since its reopening the numbers are still similar to the last fully open summer, two year ago," Matherne said.
The pool is open to all students, faculty and staff with a valid colonel card. Pool goers should bring a towel and their colonel card.
"There are also memberships available for purchase for the pool," Matherne said.
This summer the pool is open seven days a week from 1:30 p.m. till 6:30 p.m. Life guards are present during these hours. It is considered an Olympic-size pool measuring 164 feet wide by 84 feet long. There are also vending services and locker rooms available.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Nicholls Worth News Articles
Recent The Nicholls Worth News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NICHOLLS WORTH NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NICHOLLS WORTH NEWS
- Supreme Court decision sets precedent for health care fight
- University looking for funds for Babington repairs
- Recent bill opens possibility of guns on college campuses
- Health care for veterans needs a dramatic overhaul
- Off-campus drinking hard for university to police
- Elizabeth Smart speaks at Louisiana Girls Leadership Academy
- Tragedy in Santa Barbara underlines need for feminism
RECENT THE NICHOLLS WORTH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit