Nicholls executive chef heads to London Olympics
Chef Jeff Haynes, executive chef of dining services, will assist in food service at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.
Executive Chef Jeff Haynes has been selected by Sodexo Prestige to assist in food service at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.
During December and January, Haynes applied for the position to help out at the games. Every applicant undergoes a screening process because of the nature of the event and its location overseas, Haynes said.
Eventually Haynes was selected along with others to help. Haynes will be present beginning July 2012 until his contract is up. Each applicant has a different contract for a different length of time.
"I was happy to be selected and that my country would want to send me there," Haynes said.
"I was thrilled when I found out I was chosen," Haynes said, "When I knew that the Olympics were going to be in London this year, it was something I had in the back of my mind to participate in."
The itinerary has not been finalized for the selected workers, but they will have to report at a central location and then they will be stationed throughout the Olympic village and at certain events.
"If the opportunity arises I may get to see an event or two, depending on the security pass that I have," Haynes said.
According to www.bemorethanaspectator.com, "Sodexo Prestige was looking for 4,000 catering, logistics and operations staff to help us make the London 2012 Olympics the most successful event the United Kingdom has ever seen." Sodexo Prestige is the caterer for the South of the Olympic Park.
Applicants will be busy virtually the whole time they are there, but Haynes hopes to also fit in time for his family.
I know I will get a little down time while I am there so my family may come up and visit. I know I will not have a lot of time with them, but I will get to see them which is better than not seeing them, Haynes said.
Haynes was born in the United Kingdom where he attended college in Bristol, England for culinary. He has been involved in culinary for 36 years.
"It will be nice to do work in my country of birth and for such a high profile event," Haynes said.
This will be Haynes's second Olympics.
"I lived in Sydney for 16 years and I was there for the 2000 Olympics. I was not involved in the same degree as I will be this go round, but I was involved in feeding the artiliary staff that was involved with the Olympics," Haynes said. The 2012 London Olympics start July 27, 2012 and ends on August 12, 2012.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Nicholls Worth News Articles
Recent The Nicholls Worth News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NICHOLLS WORTH NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NICHOLLS WORTH NEWS
- Supreme Court decision sets precedent for health care fight
- University looking for funds for Babington repairs
- Recent bill opens possibility of guns on college campuses
- Health care for veterans needs a dramatic overhaul
- Off-campus drinking hard for university to police
- Elizabeth Smart speaks at Louisiana Girls Leadership Academy
- Tragedy in Santa Barbara underlines need for feminism
RECENT THE NICHOLLS WORTH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age